A maranta plant
Maranta is commonly known as the Prayer Plant because it folds its leaves at night, like a pair of praying hands. The leaves have an extraordinary red veined pattern running through them and deep red undersides, and every now and then it produces a tiny, delicate lilac flower. A great house plant to add a bit of a jungle feel to your home, a pretty easy going plant too!
They come from the damp tropical jungles of South America, so they like warm, humid environments. Water your plant little and often to ensure the soil doesn't dry out and feed regularly in Spring and Summer. They like high humidity so consider standing the pot on a tray filled with pebbles and water, which will increase the level of humidity around the plant.
A north facing window is the ideal spot for them, but if this isn't possible just make sure it's not sitting in direct sun as this will scorch the leaves and cause the patterning to fade. At the same time they don't want to be sitting in your shadiest corner either, so find a happy medium. In the Winter move to a brighter spot to maintain healthy growth but reduce feeding to about once a month.
You also want to find a spot where your plant will not get too cold as they're not big fans of draughts, but mind not to get it too close to a radiator!
- Size: H30cm x D12cm approx.
- Our plants are available for delivery in and around Edinburgh, Monday to Friday (except bank holidays)
- Our plants are available for collection from our Edinburgh plant shop 7 days per week
- Please include message and preferred delivery date in the message box at checkout
- Same day delivery available if ordered before 1pm (Monday - Friday)
- Pot not included
At the checkout page you will be given the option to:
- collect from shop
- deliver to post codes EH1-3 and EH10: £7
- deliver to post codes EH4-9 and EH11-16: £8.50,
- deliver to post codes EH17 - EH30: £18.
- We can also deliver further afield - please call ahead for a quote.
Please ensure you provide a full delivery address, we cannot be held responsible for wrongly delivered items due to incorrect or incomplete addresses.
Please provide a preferred delivery date, we cannot guarantee a specific time slot. Deliveries are available Monday - Friday (except bank holidays).
To ensure the plant reaches the recipient safely we recommend checking they will be in on the selected delivery day. If the recipient is not in at the time of delivery we will leave the plant in a safe place or with a neighbour, if this isn't possible it will be returned to our shop for the recipient to collect. If you would like to rearrange delivery for another day following a failed delivery attempt you will be charged for the delivery fee again.